Thursday 15 January 2015

St Mungo’s Recovery College, 33 Rushworth St, London.

St Mungo's Recovery College, 33
Rushworth St (Google StreetView).
On 14 January I went to this facility of St Mungo’s in Rushworth St to enquire about educational courses which are being run in, what they have termed, the Recovery College

In particular I was interested in their screenwriting course; and would have hoped, if I’d partook in it, to have gained some knowledge and insight into the process. And perhaps would have enjoyed spending time with like-minded individuals.

But, as I’ve become accustomed to, after about half-an-hour in this Rushworth St premises I realised that any creative writing abilities I might have would be severely denigrated by St Mungo’s staff and/or volunteers.

When initially entering these premise I was about to press the intercom when a lady suddenly opened the door to allow someone else to exit. Not knowing if this woman was a staff member or another customer I hesitated momentarily in expectation of an introduction or to be queried as to what I wanted, and perhaps invited to enter.

A clip from St Mungo's website. 
After a short silence and just as I was about to ask if she was an employee and give my reason for being there she made known to me that she was displeased, as if she was impatient because of the slight delay. She hadn’t said anything to me whatsoever but instead had seemingly expected me to read her mind: without being told I should have been aware she was a staff member and that I should have simply just walked on in. On its own I don’t consider this a big deal but still not the kind of patronising attitude I’d expect from people engaged in the education and training of others.

Then I went to reception and straight away I could see that I was wasting my time. The male receptionist was hostile and arrogant, an attitude the size of Everest. This ill mannered man eyed and spoke to me like a person would a wet and muddy dog that had just trodden on their newly polished floor. 

I am currently doing creative writing and I can assure you that being in the company of aggressive and condescending people really downgrades any creativity I might have. I believe that any gain I might have made doing a screenwriting course in this facility would be diminished by the arrogant, offensive and patronising conduct of the staff.

What flabbergasts and irks the hell out of me is how these people at St Mungo’s can spend money printing and circulating flyers that advertise these courses and then immediately insult and abuse someone who shows up intending to enrol.

No comments:

Post a Comment